Tuesday 3 October 2017

Fretta Pizza - Ahmedabad


Fretta Pizza Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

We are all avid fans of Pizza. And that love for pizza has taken us places. Places that are good, places that are bad and places that are outstanding! Now in which category does this one fall? Let’s find out.




Fretta had been on my mind since long ass I had heard a lot about it from my co-foodies of Zomato. But given my love for Fozzie’s I did not have the courage of my conviction to go try out a new place fearing I might like it better than my favourite one. But I did go in the end and it so happened that I ended up visiting this place twice in two weeks’ time. So I can safely say that I have tried quite a few of their pizzas (Four to be precise) along with their dessert breads because my friend who tagged along has a gigantic sweet tooth!

The place is located at the Pakwan crossroads so it is quite easy to locate. Parking, both paid and otherwise are available but finding a spot at either one, could prove to be a task. The décor is minimalistic and sturdy. Not very cozy but quite comfortable. The yellow lights are the most soothing bit at this restaurant because you’ll have to constantly remind them to turn the A.C. up if you sweat as much as I do, while eating! (Facepalm)

The menu isn’t quite extensive which is a good thing as you don’t have to shuffle through an encyclopedia to order your meal. Quite interestingly they have a section that says coffee in their menu and I was very surprised to see a pizza place offering coffee along side the pizzas but then I guess that could be taken as an accompaniment with their dessert breads. Doesn’t bode well with me but to each his own.

Coming to the pizza. The prices are quite moderate for their servings and the crust is as it should be. Proper thickness so that it doesn’t limp when you pick it up, crispy on the outside with a light golden crust at the bottom and fliffy on the inside. But what I found is that it lacked in texture and flavor. Maybe it was the combination of sauces and toppings that they used or just the absence of that little something. The toppings tasted good stand alone but somehow we found that the pizza as a whole, i.e. the base + the sauce + the toppings, wasn’t quite what it is supposed to be. Be it the veg version or the non – veg ones. Speaking of non veg, the most interesting thing that happened at the restaurant is, when our smoked chicken pizza arrived, the room was filed with the aroma (or the odour, as some might call it) of pork! Now we do eat pork but coming that from a chicken pizza, was weird. So I sniffed at the pizza. Yes, I said it!  I sniffed at the pizza and it still smelled like pork so I took a piece of what supposedly was chicken and tasted it. AND IT TASTED LIKE PORK! So I called the guy and asked if this was the chicken pizza, because we thought it was pork. He said yes sir, this is in fact chicken but the aroma is such because of the way we smoke our chicken! Now that is something rather unbelievable but kudos to them for inventing a chicken that smells and tastes like pork. Long story short, we did not like it. Another thing, again a matter of preference, is the obnoxiously long slices of baby corn. They were tough and tasteless and we simply lifted them off and placed them aside.



Coming to their dessert breads. The banana and Nutella bread looked fine but the bananas atop were not toasted or caramelized. Now I don’t know but somehow the raw slimy banana did not go well with the otherwise decent Nutella bread. Although we wouldn’t mind more of the Nutella and less of the bread. So, after two not so good visits, I’d rather let some time go by before visiting this place again! Go there, maybe you won’t be as unfortunate!

So that's the scene till now, I visited them again and tried the following varients which they said they had improved upon:

In non veg :-
1. Egg splash pizza
2. Chick Flick pizza
3. Smokey Chicken pizza
4. Pork pepperoni pizza

In Veg :-
1. Paneer Piccante pizza
2. Cottage cheese wonder pizza
3. Pepper time pizza
4. Four season pizza
5. Veggie divine pizza
6. Spinach supreme pizza
7. Funghi lover pizza
8. Classic Margherita pizza

There were no complaints in the non veg section. The pizzas were bang on. Be it the crust or the sauces or the toppings. Everything was nice. Even the ones in veg were good if they had sauces. I.e. the spinach supreme was just spinach leaves, garlic and cheese and felt more like a garlic bread than a pizza. The funghi lover pizza too was a bit bland but apart from That, everything else was good.

I would especially recommend the vegan garlic bread. Yes, I know coming from me that's weird but trust me, if you like things a bit on the sour end, you'll love this one.

The nutella breads are still however an issue. A bit tough and dry this time, they said they are still working on the recipe so ask them before ordering that. If they are all set, you're good to go.

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment