Tuesday 3 October 2017

Cryo Lab - Ahmedabad


Cryo Lab Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

This is another dessert parlour amidst the flooding dessert places in the city. So what’s new about this one? Nitrogen! What else? Well it’s not new per se, because we already have Creamistry which already has shown us what nitrogen can do when added to cream. But that’s how it is. So the place is located near Law Garden on the lane leading to the tap circle from the tanishq crossroads, I don’t know why the address on zomato says Ellis Bridge. Parking may or may not be an issue depending on what time of the day you’ll be visiting the store.

Like I visited the place around 4:30 to get a takeaway for the evening and there was ample parking space at that hour. Also, the place was completely empty except for a gang of 4 friends who had occupied one table. The place might look quite small from the outside, and one wouldn’t mind as it is a dessert place but once you step inside, you’ll realise that it is quite big. Infact, I party of 10 people can fit in snugly.

Like any other place, it is well staffed and the staff is courteous and serves you with a smile. When I went ahead to place my order, I was blown away by the variety of flavors that these guys had. The more astounding part was the number of toppings they offered. It is only human to compare the place to any existing places of similar caliber so naturally, my first reference was Huber and Holly. Now, you get to taste the ice cream or the sorbet before you order at H&H but so wasn’t the case at Cryolab. I was particularly interested in a flavor that boasted of having edible activated charcoal in it, but sadly these guys said that one cannot sample the gelato before ordering as they make all afresh after the order is placed. They do not have pre made ice cream for sampling. So naturally, I went with the more orthodox choice of Fererro as I did not feel very adventurous about the whole charcoal thing that day.

I placed my order along with 4 toppings and a sauce. The bill came to a whopping 450 bucks for a large cup with all toppings a large which was reduced to 250 because of a discount voucher that I had, but otherwise, shelling out 450 bucks for about 2 scoops of ice cream isn’t my idea of a happy ending to a meal. But given what people in Ahmedabad are willing to pay for food these days, I don’t think it should be a problem for most.

Coming to the packaging. The container was large enough to hold about 2 to 3 scoops of gelato but since they have to add the toppings, it is only filled half. Then atop sit the toppings of your choice and the drizzle of the sauce of your selection. Now since I got a takeaway, my gelato wasn’t topped with the sauce. The container was filled with ice cream and all the toppings were added to that and then sealed with a plastic lid which stays put in its place. The quantities of the toppings however were much more than what H&H would give you for the same price. The staff was courteous enough to ask me how far the place was that I was taking the ice cream to, as it was stay good for about 15 minutes in an air conditioned car and melt completely after that. I said I would reach my destination within 10 minutes so it should be fine. And so it was. I refrigerated it once home and it was good until late evening. The one thing that I did like about the packaging was the syringe in which they gave the sauce and the colourful spoons. Beware not to place the syringe in the refrigerator as the sauce within would freeze and render the whole purpose useless. Add that just before serving and preferably in front of your guests to impress them. That should do the trick for you.

All in all, the ice cream tasted good, the place looks decent and is quite spacious enough and if the money isn’t that much of an issue for you, this could be your next hangout dessert place, even otherwise, once in a while wont pinch your pocket hard.





No comments:

Post a Comment